Looking to obtain your Master Unlimited from the US Coast Guard? Take your courses with Northeast Maritime Institute and follow this guide.
Minimum Age Required
- 21 years
Sea Service Requirements
NEAR COASTAL & OCEANS
- 360 Days of service as Chief Mate on Ocean/ Near Coastal or Great Lakes of self-propelled vessels, OR
- 360 days of service, while holding an endorsement as Chief Mate Ocean or Near Coastal, OF WHICH
- 180 days as of service as Chief Mate on Ocean or Near Coastal water AND
- Service as OICNW accepted on a 2 or 1 basis for maximum of 180 days; OR
- 720 days of service, while holding a Master of GL &/or INL of AGT under the authority of the license held & examinations.
All Service Above will be Credited as Follows:
- Service on GL will be credited day for day.
- Service on inland waters, other than GL, may substitute for up to 50% of the total required service.
- Service on vessels to which STCW applies (inland or NC) will be credited day for day.
(NOTE: To have a Near Coastal Unlimited endorsement obtained in this manner endorsed for Ocean service, the mariner must obtain 360 days as DWO or higher on Oceans on vessels of 1600 GRT or over & complete the prescribed examination.)
- 360 days of service as Mate or FCP while acting in the capacity of 1st Mate of Great Lakes vessels of 1600 GRT or more while holding a license or MMC endorsement as Mate Inland or FCP of Great Lakes and Inland self-propelled vessels of Unlimited tonnage; (service on near coastal or inland waters does not apply) OR
- 720 days of service as Master Inland vessels of 1600 GRT or more on inland waters, excluding the Great Lakes; (service on near coastal waters or Great Lakes does not apply) OR
- 360 days of service upon Great Lakes while holding an Officer endorsement as Mate or FCP of GL & INL of vessels 1600 GRT or more, OF WHICH:
- 180 days of service as 1st Mate
- Service as 2nd Mate accepted: 2 for 1basis for a max of 180 days
- 360 days service as FCP (other than canal & small lakes routes) or Mate of Great Lakes or Inland self-propelled vessels of 1600 GRT or more while holding a license or MMC endorsement as Mate inland or FCP of Great Lakes and Inland self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage; (service on near coastal waters does not apply); OR
- 720 days of service performing bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the master or a qualified officer, while holding a mate/ FCP license or officer endorsement.
Optional Sea Service Requirements if sea service commenced prior to March 24, 2014
- For Master Unlimited NC – While holding a Master Unlimited upon Great Lakes and Inland – No additional sea service but exams are required. ESS 1-1 NC exam modules from Examination Guide June 2011 Edition.
- For Master Unlimited Oceans – While holding a Master Unlimited Upon Great Lakes and Inland – 360 days service as Deck-watch officer or higher on Oceans or NC waters on vessels 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more. ESS 1-1 NC/Oceans exam modules from Examination Guide June 2011 Edition (If previously completed NC exam modules, use ESS 1-2). All must first meet Fire Fighting, RADAR and AB – Limited or Unlimited unless previously met.
Recency: 90 Days in the past 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage
- Completed USCG Application including sea service documentation
- USCG Physical Examination
- USCG Drug Test
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- USCG Examinations
Training Requirements (to meet STCW II/2 requirements)
- Medical Care Person in Charge
- Advanced Firefighting or
- Advanced Firefighting Revalidation
- Radar Observer or Radar Recertification
- Leadership and Managerial Skills
- Basic Safety Training (or Refresher)
- Bridge Resource Management
- Celestial Navigation
- Advanced Shiphandling
- Advanced Stability
- Advanced Meteorology
- Search and Rescue