Looking to obtain your Chief Mate Unlimited/STCW II/2 License from the US Coast Guard? Take your courses with Northeast Maritime Institute and follow this guide.
Minimum Age Required
- 21 years
Sea Service Requirements
360 days of service as OICNW on Ocean/ NC steam or motor vessels while holding an endorsement as 2nd Mate.
Recency: 90 Days in the past 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage
- All required service is on vessels of 100 GRT, AND
- 50% of the required service is on vessels over 1600 GRT
- Limited to max tonnage on which 25% of experience is obtained, OR
- Limited to 150% tonnage on which 50% service spent WHICHEVER GREATER.
*May be issued if 50% of the required service is not on vessels over 1600 GRT; however, ALL required service MUST be on vessels over 200 GRT.
- Completed USCG Application including sea service documentation
- USCG Physical Examination
- USCG Drug Test
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- USCG Examinations
Training Requirements (to meet STCW II/2 requirements)
- Medical Care Person in Charge
- Advanced Firefighting (or Refresher/Revalidation)
- Radar Observer or Radar Recertification
- Leadership and Managerial Skills
- Basic Training (or Refresher)
- Advanced Shiphandling
- Advanced Stability
- Advanced Meteorology
- Search and Rescue