Looking to obtain your 3rd Mate Unlimited (OICNW > 500 GT II/1) License from the US Coast Guard? Take your courses with Northeast Maritime Institute and follow this guide.
Minimum Age Required
- 19 years
Sea Service Requirements
- 1080 days of deck service on Ocean/ Near Coastal or Great Lakes self-propelled vessels, OF WHICH
- 180 days of bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the master or a qualified office
- 180 days of deck service as AB, Boatswain, or Quartermaster, (while holding AB) 90 days of engine department service may be creditable (if service began before March 24. 2014, OR
- Graduation from a Maritime Academy, OR
- Satisfactory completion of a three year apprentice mate training program approved by the Coast Guard, OR
- 360 days as master on vessels of more than 200 GRT upon Ocean/ Near Coastal waters while holding an Officer endorsement as Master less than 1600 Ocean/ Near Coastal (tonnage limitation may apply), OR
NOTE: Service towards an Oceans, NC endorsement will be credited as follows:
- Service on GL will be credited day for day.
- Service on inland waters, other than GL, may substitute for up to 50% of the total required service.
- Service on vessels to which STCW applies (inland or NC) will be credited day for day.
A Master or Mate of GL &/or Inland of AGT, may obtain this endorsement by completing the prescribed examination.
Recency: 90 Days in the past 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage
- All required service is on vessels over 200 GRT, AND
- 50% of the required service is on vessels over 1600 GRT
- Limited to max tonnage on which 25% of experience is obtained, OR
- Limited to 150% tonnage on which 50% of service spent WHICHEVER IS GREATER.
*(May be issued if 50% of the required service is not on vessels over 1600 GRT; however, ALL required service MUST be on vessels over 200 GRT)
- Completed USCG Application including sea service documentation
- USCG Physical Examination
- USCG Drug Test
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- USCG Examinations
- STCW Basic Training
- Radar Observer Unlimited
- Proficiency in Survival Craft (Lifeboatman) Course
- Bridge Resource Management
- Celestial Navigation
- Medical Care Provider
- Search and Rescue
- Terrestrial Navigation
- Electronic Navigation
- Basic Cargo Handling and Stowage
- Basic Shiphandling
- Basic Stability and Ship Construction
- Basic Meteorology
- Visual Signaling
- Advanced Firefighting
- Leadership and Teamworking
Optional Training for STCW OICNW > 500 GT (II/5)
- Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA)