Position: Ordinary Seaman
Company: University of Rhode Island
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Stand a 4 on 8 off bridge watch.
- Stand 8 hours of watch per day performing duties as directed by the Officer of the watch.
- Operate the ship’s winches, capstan, and crane in support of the science and ship operations.
- Under the direction of the ship’s Bosun assist with scientific deck operations.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the ship’s Bosun maintain ship’s structure and lubricate and paint deck machinery both at sea and ashore.
- Ashore, under the direction of the ship’s bosun, onload and offload cruise materials and science equipment using the ship’s crane.
- Secure all equipment for sea under the direction of the Chief Mate and Bosun.
- Assist the science party with securing their equipment in the lab areas and lower hold.
LICENSES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
- U.S. Coast Guard document Ordinary Seaman.
- All applicable training as required by the convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW 95)
- The position must maintain current CPR, First Aid, and Basic Fire Fighting certification. Additional training may also be required, as deemed necessary by the Marine Office, or recommended by the Master.
- While at sea this position is required to work 7 days per week, up to 12 hours per day, for up to 35 days at a time.
- The position may require the moving or carrying of items greater than 50 pounds.
- The position requires working aloft using safety harnesses, and working outdoors in extremes of heat, cold, wind, and sea state.
- The position must be able to pass a physical exam, administered by the employer’s occupational health provider. This exam is geared toward the rigors of life and safety at sea.
- The position requires a negative response on a pre-employment drug test, and is subject to random drug testing after employment.
- High school diploma.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATIONS TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES:
- Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the postition. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.