POSITIONS: Assistant Engineer
COMPANY: University of Rhode Island
LOCATION: Narragansett, Rhode Island
Academic Affairs (GSO)
Chief Engineer, Research Vessel ENDEAVOR
Under the direction of the Chief Engineer carry out the operation, repair, and routine maintenance of all ship’s machinery and systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stand a four-on eight-off sea watch and perform all of the duties and record keeping expected of the watch.
- Under the direction of the Chief Engineer maintain, repair, and upgrade the ship’s mechanical and electrical equipment and systems.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist science with mechanical, welding, and machining support when directed by the Chief Engineer.
- When required stand engineering watches in port.
LICENSES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT
- U. S. Coast Guard document Third Assistant Engineer or Greater. Certificate for Refrigerant Transition and Recovery as required by 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F.
- All applicable training as required by the convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW 95).
- The position must maintain current CPR, First Aid, and Basic Fire Fighting certification. Additional training may also be required, as deemed necessary by the Marine Office, or recommended by the Master.
- While at sea this position is required to work 7 days per week, up to 12 hours per day, for up to 35 days at a time.
- The position may require the moving or carrying of items greater than 50 pounds.
- The position may require working aloft using safety harnesses, and working outdoors in extremes of heat, cold, wind, and sea state.
- The position must be able to pass a physical exam, administered by the employer’s occupational health provider. This exam is geared toward the rigors of life and safety at sea.
- The position requires a negative response on a pre-employment drug test, and is subject to random drug testing after employment.
- A license as a Third Assistant Engineer of Motor Vessels (Limited – Oceans) of Unlimited Horsepower or greater.
- Machining and welding skills.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATIONS TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
SOME REQUIREMENTS MAY EXCLUDE INDIVIDUALS WHO POSE A DIRECT THREAT OR SIGNIFICANT RISK TO THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF THEMSELVES OR OTHER EMPLOYEES.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY STATES OR IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THE POSITION. EMPLOYEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM OTHER JOB-RELATED DUTIES REQUESTED BY THEIR SUPERVISOR.
Company: URI-GSO RV Endeavor
Address: 215 South Ferry Rd., Narragansett, RI 02882
Posted November 30, 2022