POSITION: Deckhand – City Ferry South Shore Operations
COMPANY: Boston Harbor City Cruises
LOCATION: Boston, Massachusetts
City Experiences is seeking Deckhands for our City Cruises and City Ferries Boston and South Shore operations.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
About the Opportunity:
Individuals in this position will serve as crew members onboard large-capacity passenger vessels. Ideal candidates will be outgoing, friendly, and able to work a flexible schedule while being part of the team environment.
The right person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody the City Experiences RESPECT Service System.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional hospitality to guests and coworkers as prescribed in the RESPECT SERVICE SYSTEM
- Follow safety procedures to ensure the protection of passengers and vessel
- Participate in routine safety drills to prepare for major incidents including man overboard, fire and abandon ship
- Handle lines to moor vessels to pier
- Stand watch in ships’ bows, sterns, or bridge wings to look for obstructions in a ship’s path or to locate navigational aids such as buoys and lighthouses
- Assist Captain and supervisory personnel in maintaining vessel equipment and systems such as HVAC, engine, and technical equipment
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety of all common areas
- Sweep, mop, and wash down decks and exterior to remove dirt and debris using brooms, mops, brushes, and hoses
- Load or unload materials from vessels; gather and remove trash from vessel
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms
- Be prepared to begin work at scheduled time
- Maintain uniform and personal grooming in compliance with appearance standards
- Performs security/safety patrols of all decks while vessel is underway. Communicates with passengers, answering questions and responding to complaints.
- Assists with boarding and disembarking of passengers
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Additional job duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
Ideal candidates will be outgoing, friendly, and comfortable working with the public. In addition:
- High School Diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate) preferred
- Must be able to effectively understand and convey written and verbal information to guests and coworkers
- Must possess a service orientation – actively looking for ways to help others
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality essential
- Will work for extended periods of time without sitting
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds
- Must be able to throw mooring lines from ship to pier
- Must have normal color vision to accurately interpret navigational lights and color-sensitive system and safety displays
- May be required to apply for a Transportation Workers ID card
- Will be required to be available for work on weekends and all major holidays
- Per maritime law, must be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident
- First Aid and CPR/AED Certification a plus but not required
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Posted May 24, 2021