COMPANY: City Experiences by Hornblower
LOCATION: Boston, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT: Marine Operations
REPORTS TO: Mate/Captain
As part of our amazing marine team, The Senior Deckhand is responsible to assist with boarding, line handling, standing lookout and ensuring guest comfort and safety while underway. The Senior Deckhand will work with other marine crew to maintain the appearance and cleanliness of the vessel. The Senior Deckhand assists in all aspects of vessel operations and maintenance directed by the mate and Captain in an appropriate manner ensuring consistently high levels of safety, quality, service, and guest satisfaction.
The right person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT Service System.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stand watch in various locations onboard looking for obstructions in ship’s path or locating navigational aids
- Clean, wash and maintain the vessel, solve problems, and carry out the Mate & Captains orders
- Perform routine shipboard maintenance as required including paining & general aesthetics
- Participate in onboard emergency preparedness drills
- Obtain knowledge of vessel systems for safe use and proper operation
- Maintain a strong focus on guest safety & customer service
- Maintain the cleanliness of all common areas
- Load & unload materials from vessels including trash and deliveries & handle lines to moor vessel to pier
- Operate and maintain equipment such as HVAC systems, lifesaving equipment & bridge equipment
- Assist with general maintenance of machinery
- Provide exceptional hospitality to guests and coworkers as prescribed in our RESPECT Service System
- Willingness to be involved in shipyard periods
- Be prepared to begin work at scheduled time
- Maintain uniform and personal grooming in compliance with appearance standards
- Other duties as assigned by the Mate or Captain
*THIS IS NOT A LIVE ABOARD POSITION*
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- One (1) to three (3) years maritime experience OR one (1) year mechanical experience preferred
- Strong focus on safety and teamwork while actively looking for ways to help others
- Pre-employment and on-going random drug testing are required for all marine personnel per USCG
- Must be able to effectively understand and convey written and verbal information to guests and coworkers
- Willing to work for extended periods of time without sitting
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds; move furniture & other heavy items such as provisions up and down stairs.
- Must be able to throw mooring lines from ship to pier
- Ability to receive CPR/First Aid Certificate
- Ability to receive a TWIC – Transportation Workers Identification Credential
- Must have normal color vision to interpret navigational lights and color-sensitive systems & safety displays
- Receptive to working nights/weekends and major holidays
- Per US Coast Guard regulations, must be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident
RESPECT SERVICE SYSTEM
Our Mission: We create amazing experiences.
Our Values: Respect, Environment, Safety #1, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork.
Our Operating Principles: CITY EXPERIENCES 12
- Foster diversity and inclusion.
- Practice conservation and environmental responsibility.
- Cultivate a safe and secure workplace.
- Be on time. Come prepared.
- Make data-driven, fact-based decisions.
- Be decisive with 80:100 solutions (80% right, 100% implementable)
- Expect to win – but compete as an underdog.
- Embrace innovation and reinvention.
- Listen and be responsive.
- Strive for efficiency and transparency without politics.
- Win as a team. Play your role.
- Work hard, have fun, celebrate success
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are interested in this position, please contact:
Posted April 13, 2022