COMPANY: City Experiences by Hornblower
LOCATION: Boston, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT: Marine Operations
REPORTS TO: Captain
As part of our amazing marine team, The Mate is responsible to assist with all aspects of shipboard operations including, docking, and undocking, boarding, and overseeing emergency preparedness drills. The Mate is the on-scene leader in the event of any onboard emergency. The Mate must always ensure guest comfort and safety while underway and maintain the appearance and cleanliness of the vessel. The Mate will assist in all aspects of vessel maintenance & cleanliness as directed by The Captain. He or She must always ensure consistently high levels of safety, quality, service, and guest satisfaction.
The Mate will be responsible for supervising the deck crew while the vessel is underway and act as the team leader in response to any emergency on board. He or she will be able to assist The Captain in the operation of the vessel and must be able to operate the vessel in the event The Captain becomes incapacitated. The mate is second in command of the marine crew onboard the vessel.
The right person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT Service System.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take command of the vessel if captain becomes incapacitated
- Instruct & lead all onboard emergency preparedness drills
- Stand bridge watch and assist in the safe navigation and maneuvering of the vessel
- Clean, wash and maintain vessel, solve problems, and carry out the Captains orders
- Assign deckhands tasks and provide direction & instruction
- Act as on-scene leader in the event of emergency
- Obtain knowledge of USCG regulations
- Supervise and perform routine shipboard maintenance as required
- Obtain knowledge of all vessel systems, pumps, and mechanical gear
- Maintain a strong focus on guest safety & customer service
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety of all common areas
- Load & unload materials from vessels including trash and deliveries & handle lines to moor vessel to pier
- Preform vessel maintenance including, paining & general aesthetics, plumbing, electrical, water (potable, raw, black, and gray) systems, fire suppression, bilge, comms, and navigation systems
- Stand look-out watch on bow, stern, or bridge wings to look for obstructions in ship’s path or to locate navigational aids such as buoys
- Operate and maintain ship equipment such as engines and generators, HVAC systems & bridge equipment
- Assist with general maintenance of machinery
- Willingness to be involved in shipyard periods
- Provide exceptional hospitality to guests and coworkers as prescribed in our RESPECT Service System
- Be prepared to begin work at scheduled time
- Maintain uniform and personal grooming in compliance with appearance standards
- Other duties as assigned by the Captain
*THIS IS NOT A LIVE ABOARD POSITION*
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- Two (2) to four (4) years maritime experience OR two (2) years mechanical experience is required
- Ability to effectively lead others
- Strong focus on safety and teamwork while actively looking for ways to help others
- Pre-employment and on-going random drug testing are required for all marine personnel per USCG
- Must be able to effectively understand and convey written and verbal information to guests and coworkers
- Willing to work for extended periods of time without sitting
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds; moving furniture & other heavy items such as provisions up and down stairs.
- Must be able to throw mooring lines from ship to pier
- Must have normal color vision to interpret navigational lights and color-sensitive systems and safety displays
- Ability to receive CPR/First Aid Certificate
- Must obtain TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) in first 30 days
- Receptive to working nights/weekends and major holidays
RESPECT SERVICE SYSTEM
Our Mission: We create amazing experiences.
Our Values: Respect, Environment, Safety #1, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork.
Our Operating Principles: CITY EXPERIENCES 12
- Foster diversity and inclusion.
- Practice conservation and environmental responsibility.
- Cultivate a safe and secure workplace.
- Be on time. Come prepared.
- Make data-driven, fact-based decisions.
- Be decisive with 80:100 solutions (80% right, 100% implementable)
- Expect to win – but compete as an underdog.
- Embrace innovation and reinvention.
- Listen and be responsive.
- Strive for efficiency and transparency without politics.
- Win as a team. Play your role.
- Work hard, have fun, celebrate success
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are interested in this position, please contact:
Posted April 13, 2022