Position: Ferry Captain/Part Time
Company: Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center
Location: Thompson Island, Boston, MA
Lead Deck Hand reports to the Director of Operations
As Soon As Possible
Full Time, Year Round, Non-Exempt
Ferry Captains at Thompson Island are responsible for the safe transportation of all island visitors, embarkation/disembarkation of island visitors, potential island evacuation and safe navigation on a variety of vessels in restricted visibility and tight quarters on our 65′ passenger ferry. Per USCG requirements vessel crews often have 1 or less deckhand on board. As cargo is often sporadic and time sensitive, Captains are required to take initiative and assist in loading and unloading when vessel conditions make it safe and feasible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Serves as Master of a 65’ USCG inspected passenger vessel.
– Operates a variety of small, uninspected passenger vessels and work boats.
– Performs basic maintenance tasks as outlined in our Planned Maintenance Program.
– Responsible for the safe navigation of all TIOBEC owned vessels.
– Responsible for the safe embarkation/disembarkation of passengers.
– Responsible for the loading and unloading of boat cargo.
– Occasional overnight accommodation offered if and when necessary.
– Minimum of 5 years working on board a vessel
– Minimum of 3 years as Master of a vessel
– Must currently hold a 100 Ton Masters license minimum
– FCC Marine Radio Operators Permit required to be obtained within 3 months of start date
– Must be comfortable making decisions that affect life and property, often in stressful conditions.
– Desire to contribute, by way of fulfilling job duties, to the organizational mission of providing character development for Boston’s young people.
– Must be outgoing, professional and comfortable working with students.
– Pre-employment and on-going random drug testing required for all marine personnel.
– Experience using radars in harbors and knowledge of marine diesels are a plus.
– Must be comfortable working outside, on the water in a coastal environment.
– Overtime hours periodically required.
– Weekend and evening work often required.
– Must be able to lift 70 lbs unassisted
– Must be able ride a ferry daily and traverse an island of varying terrains.
– Must be able to stand for 5+ hours per day
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Paid time off. Work that engages a diverse and dynamic community of educators and other professionals with the shared vision of shaping a better future for Boston’s youth.