Position: Deckhand - Licensed
Company: UnCruise Adventures
The Licensed Deckhand is responsible for maintenance and cleaning of the interior/ exterior of the vessel, and assisting with small boat operations/driving small boats with guests. In addition, the Deckhand will assist with bridge watch/navigation, perform hourly security patrols including nightly engine room inspections, and assist with general boat operations. This position reports to the 1st Mate and will assist the Master in communicating and enforcing all company policies and procedures. In addition to reporting to the 1st Mate, the Licensed Deckhand also falls under the authority of any Officer of the Watch.
- Sweep decks, washes windows, and empties trash receptacles.
- Clean the public restrooms and general areas such as bulkheads, lockers, etc.
- Prime and paint the vessel as assigned.
- Assist the 1st Mate and Chief Engineer as directed.
- May be assigned various special projects as per the Mate’s work list.
- Handle lines during docking and undocking procedures.
- Assigned anchoring duties as needed.
- Assist the bridge watch officer with lookout and wheel watch.
- Assist the Bosun with lowering/raising and tying up/ casting off of the inflatable boats and kayaks.
- Drive inflatable boats on a daily basis and may be called on to provide interpretation on skiff tours.
- Assist with loading guests, staff, and crew in and out of inflatable boats.
SAFETY & SECURITY:
- Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Participate in shore side training as required by the company.
- Conduct hourly security patrols including inspection of all lower deck, mechanical, and crew spaces.
- Serve as needed on gangway watch.
- Familiar with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Load/off-load guest luggage.
- Haul ship’s trash, laundry, and stores as needed.
- Pull, clean and replace the galley mats, cleans the galley deck and washes any used galley rags.
- Mechanical aptitude and interest.
- Maritime/boating experience.
- Good customer service skills; professional demeanor, ability to use necessary levels of tact and courtesy.
- Detail oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Able to work independently using initiative and creativity to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills; able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along well with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- USCG 25T Masters License
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- STCW Basic Training (1)
- VPDSD (Company provided if needed) (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (Company provided if needed) (1)
- Valid TWIC (2)
- St. Kitts Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) (3)
- RFPNW Endorsement of II/4 (4)
- MARSEC Card (5)