THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE
I Want to Become a Mariner. Where do I Start?
Is the ocean calling your name? Have you dreamed of traveling to places you’ve never been before? If so, a career at sea may be just the thing you’re looking for. Now… where to start?
It’s no secret that a career in the maritime industry requires a lot of hard work, dedication and perserverance as this industry engines almost every other field you can think of. So, if you’re wondering how to begin this new adventure as a mariner, follow along below as we will provide some important steps to get you started.
- You’ll hear the term TWIC from just about everyone you ask. TWIC, also known as your Transportation Worker Identification Card is your first ticket into the industry, and this is something you NEED above anything else. To apply online, visit https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic. In addition, as a part of Northeast Maritime Institute’s college program our staff and faculty will guide you throughout this entire process.
- Get a USCG approved physical. Fill out the form found at https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/CG_719KE.pdf and bring this to your physician to sign. This is to ensure that you are healthy and capable of performing the duties required as a mariner.
- You will also need a valid drug test. For more information on this provided by the USCG, visit https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/drug_testing/
- Enroll in a Basic Safety Training course. Northeast Maritime Institute provides an affordable BST course online and in-person. Our online blended course is a great way to get started – click the link to learn more and enroll: NMI Basic Safety Training Online Blended Course.
- Now you’re ready to get your Merchant Mariner Credential! For more details on the necessary steps to get your MMC, visit https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_mariner_credential/