Position: Assistant Engineer
Company: UnCruise Adventures
The Assistant Engineer is responsible for assisting the Chief Engineer in the maintenance, operation, and repair of all vessel electrical and mechanical systems onboard. The Assistant Engineer reports to the Chief Engineer and will assist the Master in communicating and enforcing all company policies and procedures.
REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE:
- Perform routine maintenance checks and keeps records of jobs performed. Keeps the Chief Engineer informed of all maintenance and repairs that have been done.
- Help with engineering, deck, and hotel preventative maintenance programs on daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Complete maintenance and repair tasks as requested by Chief Engineer or Master.
- Perform hotel maintenance tasks as directed by Chief Engineer or Master.
- Participate in yearly shipyards.
- Assist Chief Engineer in all bunkering operations and other duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer.
- Update vessel maintenance records for weekly and monthly work items. Assists the Chief Engineer with inventories.
SAFETY & SECURITY:
- Follow company safety and pollution prevention policies and procedures and request guidance when necessary.
- Assist in the preparation of the vessel for all U.S. Coast Guard annual dry docks and other inspections.
- Participate in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling.
- Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects.
- Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements.
- Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
- Working knowledge of diesel propulsion and electricity generation systems.
- Knowledge of support systems such as fuel centrifuges, air compressors, pumps, hydraulics, water makers, hotel systems, plumbing, refrigeration, heating, and air conditioning also preferred.
- Personal computer experience: spreadsheet experience (Lotus or Excel) and Windows applications (including Word) is preferred.
- Maintain professional demeanor at all time.
- Must be a self-starter, able to handle multiple tasks, work with little supervision, and work in confined spaces.
- Crisis management: work well under pressure, act quickly and decisively using sound judgment.
- The Assistant Engineer will have some guest contact and must be professional and have the ability to present information and respond to questions.
- Able to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Must be able to provide clear and concise reports as required.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS:
- Vaild Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Valid TWIC (1)
- STCW Basic Training (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (1)
- VPDSD (1)
- STCW Advanced Firefighting (2)
- QMED (2)
- Shipyard Competent Person (2)
(1) Required for Safari Endeavour, preferred on other vessels. Company provided if needed. (2) Company preferred